Unseen Gallipoli photographs revealed
7 June 2019
A new exhibition showing previously unseen photographs from Gallipoli will be open to the public from Saturday 8 June 2019 at Princess Royal Fortress.
Taken by Staff Sergeant Alexander Dollman Hood M.M, a member of the 4th Australian Field Ambulance C Section, the photographs shed light on what life was like during the 1915 Gallipoli campaign.
The exhibition will also feature the Australian War Memorial’s ‘A Camera on Gallipoli’ featuring First World War photographs taken by Sir Charles Ryan, a leading surgeon in the Australian Imperial Forces. In 1914, at the age of 61, Sir Charles Ryan was appointed consulting surgeon to the AIF, embarking from Melbourne in October towards the Middle East and on to Gallipoli.
A Camera on Gallipoli is a series of 39 photographs capturing the reality behind the 1915 Gallipoli campaign depicting a unique and often harsh view of our soldiers’ experiences.
Princess Royal Fortress Military Museum Curator David Theodore said the exhibition was a candid look into the reality of life in Gallipoli for Australian troops.
“Princess Royal Fortress has some important and previously unseen photographs which we are fortunate enough to be able to bring out for public viewing in this exhibition,” Mr Theodore said.
“Combining Staff Sergeant Hood’s images with the Australian War Memorials ‘A Camera on Gallipoli’ travelling exhibition is the perfect match, and showcases the true experience of war.”
Gallipoli Captured, featuring A Camera on Gallipoli will be on display at the Princess Royal Fortress Military Museum Main Barracks building until September 8 2019