The Albany Tourism & Information Hub aims to transform the face of tourism and library information services in Albany and the Great Southern Region. The relocation of the Albany Visitors Centre to York Street will result in an iconic transformation of the Albany Public Library frontage.
The co-location of the Library and Visitors Centre will improve the standard, convenience and efficiency of service delivery for locals and visitors, and enhance the long term viability of the tourism industry with its associated benefits to the regional economy. The design of the new facility creates a new level of connectivity across public spaces and amenities at the ground level, and the addition of new meeting rooms and multifunctional, flexible spaces, along with enhancements inside the library, serve to connect the community and provide ongoing social and educational benefits.
• Implementation – construction due for completion early 2018
• Support tourism growth in Albany and the South Coast
• Create an active and thriving hub in the city centre
• Create a tourism destination and regional showcase
• Connect York Street, Town Square and Alison Hartman Gardens
• Consolidate a cultural and civic heart of Albany
• Improve customer service delivery and experience
Australian Government – Building Better Regions; Western Australian Government – Tourism WA, Royalties for Regions; City of Albany
- Albany Tourism and Information Hub - Project Update (1MB)The purpose of this update is to inform the community of the upcoming works to co-locate the Albany Visitor Centre and Albany Public Library to the existing Library.
- Community Update November 2017 City Hub (2MB)Community Update for the City Hub including the Alison Hartman Gardens Enhancement, Tourist & Information Hub, Town Hall Re Purposing and Library Enhancement.
Frequently Asked Questions
The City is implementing options to ensure a quality library service will continue to be delivered during the construction period as the works will impact the library layout and service. The areas being restructured on the ground floor will include the existing young adult area, junior area and study room. The areas restructured on the upper floor will include the open plan seating area and bookable meeting room. Where possible, the users of these areas will be accommodated elsewhere temporarily.
The Library will remain open during construction as long as it is practical and safe to do so. Opening and closing times may vary according to construction requirements and program, as the Library will be impacted by noise and access at times during the construction period. The construction areas will be appropriately sealed and secured to ensure safe library use.
Exact details of amended opening hours will be advised. Please check the City of Albany News & Events and Albany Public Library Facebook pages for this information.
Library users can still return items as usual via the after hours chute. Please make the most of the library website, catalogue and electronic resources during this time.
- Support tourism growth in Albany and the Great Southern region
- Create and easily identifiable, central and active information hub in the City Centre
- Expansion of multi-functional and flexible community facilities
- Create opportunities for improved customer service delivery
- Create a destination & tourism hub that showcases Albany's regional produce and attractions
- Activate City centre
- Improve integration with Town Square and Alison Hartman Gardens
The proposal includes a new two storey building extension to the York Street frontage of the existing library to accommodate Visitor Centre and library services. Construction will involve removing the front façade of the existing building to accommodate the addition.
The ground floor extension will form the new Visitor Centre. The upper floor of the new addition will have the flexibility to be utilised as library space, meeting rooms, function space and potential exhibition purposes.
A new lift, staircase, universal access public amenities and entry lobby will connect the new entries to the Visitor Centre and Library on the northern (Alison Hartmen Gardens), southern (Town Square) and eastern (York Street) sides.
The existing entrance on the south (Town Square) of Albany Public Library is likely to be permanently closed at the completion of construction and accommodated closer to York Street.
Construction will commence on 3 April and continue into early 2018.